Fact-check: “A judge released the woman who vandalized the World War II memorial from being held in custody”
Verdict: True (97% confidence)
Multiple independent primary-source reports — including Reuters, The Washington Post, NBC News, The Hill, and WJLA — all confirm that U.S. Magistrate Judge Matthew J. Sharbaugh ordered the release of Melissa L. Farris, 41, on Monday, August 18, 2026, after she had been taken into custody following her arrest for vandalizing the World War II Memorial. The Justice Department had asked the judge to keep her detained, arguing she was a flight risk, but the judge granted her pretrial release on a pe…
This fact-check was conducted by SpinkillerAI, a non-partisan AI-powered accountability platform.
Related fact-checks
- Trump said tariffs cut the trade deficit with China — Mostly True
- Fauci never told anyone that schools should be closed — False
- Elon Musk pays no income tax — False
- Medicare for all would cost trillions a year that Americans would pay through higher income taxes — Partly True
- Certain areas in the US have more job opportunities for recent college graduates — True